Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Today's Update




















Today, Christian had his one month check-up. He is healthy and thriving at a whopping 10 lbs 4 oz. He does have what is called breastmilk jaundice, although very mildly. I first heard of this strange condition when Kayley was born because she had it too, although she had it much worse. Some protein in the breastmilk causes the jaundice and it lasts a lot longer than the newborn jaundice. By eight weeks, it should be cleared up, the doctor said. I mainly notice that it is still evident in the whites of Christian's eyes and a little bit in his face and chest.


Thankfully, you just continue nursing as usual and it's not a concern unless the baby is lethargic and acting sick. Christian couldn't be doing better, though and I'm thankful for that and expect it to be totally gone soon. Now if only we could solve this gas and fussy problem...


I told the doctor of my no milk and no caffeine experiment and she thought that was a great idea. I also asked about using gripe water which she said was fine. We haven't ruled out reflux, even though he's not showing the typical symptoms of it, but it's something to keep in mind and watch for. I sure hope he doesn't have that.


Other than that, we just keep doing what we're doing and try to rule out what's causing the gas so that he can sleep better, so that I can sleep better too! I don't know if it's coincidence or not, but he's been sleeping much better in the three days I haven't had milk. I wonder??? Guess we'll see.


Christian always looks so serious in his pics, but trust me, he is starting to smile and boy is it cute! I've been trying to catch it on camera but haven't been successful yet.

I'm attending a Beth Moore Bible study at our church called, "Believing God" and it is awesome! I'm already being stretched and molded as I am focusing on five fundamental truths:
*God is who He says He is
*God can do what He says He can do
*I am who God says I am
*I can do all things through Christ
*God's Word is alive and active in me
Good stuff!

Oh, and a prayer request. The girls had colds last week, which was passed onto Sam, and now has passed onto me. It's an awful drippy nose, painful sinuses, sore throat, and body aches kind of cold and I'm feeling pretty miserable. It's extra hard since I'm so tired, so please pray for quick healing for our family and that Christian would stay healthy and not catch it. Thanks

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh....this is much easier to read for my feeble eyes!!!! Thanks!!!! Momarooooooooooooo

R Dvorak said...

You are an encouragement to me. I have enjoyed reading your posts and learning about your life these days. I am glad that you are so honest and real online just like you are in person.

And thank you for asking about my experiences. I may not have posted on these subjects, but it is fun to reflect on those memories. Thanks.

Stay motivated, you are a wonderful woman and mother!