Monday, October 6, 2008

Getting to the "Root" of my Problem...haha

I'm beginning to feel like the dentist and I are good buddies. I had to go back and see him this morning after having the root canal a week ago. I've had a tooth that has been aching on and off for over two years and the only problem is that I can't really pinpoint where the pain is coming from. So, I had a root canal done on one of the suspicious teeth, only to have a major, throbbing toothache two days later, on a different tooth. Yup, we got the wrong tooth. Now, I didn't freak out about it too much because the tooth I had worked on would have needed a root canal eventually anyway. But, I am disappointed that I have to go through this all again and have another root canal done. And let's just hope it's the right tooth this time, because it could also be the one next to it or it could be both of them! Ah!

The only good news is that I am no longer terrified of the procedure since I survived it once already and it wasn't bad at all.

Now, to the next part of my problem. I had jaw surgery ten years ago to correct my bite. It was an awful surgery and I don't recommend it to anyone. My jaw was wired shut for six weeks and the recovery was incredibly painful. I got two nice little plates screwed into my jaw bone -- one on each side. Well, the dentist thinks that the screws are killing my teeth, therefore causing all my tooth problems and pain. See, when your teeth die or become "non-vital," you end up needing a root canal because otherwise you can get an infection or an abscess or other awful things. So now, the dentist is sending me to an oral surgeon to see if I should have the screws removed?! Uggg, it just sounds awful to me. What are they going to do -- put me to sleep and whip out a screwdriver and then.....I don't even want to think about what they would do. Yuck.

Okay enough complaining. Please just pray that the root canal goes well tomorrow and that is solves the entire problem!

No comments: