
Yesterday morning, I was busy changing Christian's diaper and getting Kayley ready for the day when Aubrie came upstairs wailing and saying she had hurt her foot. We've been working on putting a playroom in our basement so she had gone down there to play. Well, you know how sometimes with little kids, it seems like they often make a huge deal out of a little scratch? That's what I thought had happened and so I admit that I didn't really give her my full attention right away but just said, "Aubrie, you'll be just fine" as I rushed around the house, trying to finish what I was doing.
Finally, she held her foot up in the air and cried out, "But it's bleeding!" I looked over and blood was pouring down her foot. Ahhhhh! I got her in the bathroom and had her wash off her foot in the bath tub. I noticed a long trail of blood drops coming from the baement door and cringed. After I dried off her foot, I took a good look at it and my heart sank. "This might need stitches," I thought. The cut looked really deep. I tried to keep Aubrie calm and I put some ointment on it and wrapped and taped it with gauze. I decided to call Sam at work and see what he thought I should do. I also noticed that the blood was already seeping out of the bandages I had wrapped her foot in.
Well, Sam thought I should take her to the clinic right away. The only problem was that I was home with all three kids and had never really taken them all out on my own. I was hoping to at least find someone to watch Kayley because a trip to the E.R. with all three of them sounded like a nightmare to me. I made several calls to friends, one of which was a nurse who I thought could come look at it, but nobody was home or answering their cell phones! I finally decided to grit my teeth and pack the kids in the van and go. I didn't know how serious it was but figured I should get it looked at.
To make a long story short, everything went very smoothly and I could tell God answered my prayers for help. The girls were well behaved, Christian didn't cry, and we had the most wonderful nurse who was so helpful and fussed all over the kids the whole time. She even took Christian out of his car seat when we were registering and went to go show him off to the nurses which gave me one less child to worry about for awhile. The doctor ended up using a sort of glue to close the wound and we were good to go. She can't get her foot wet for a few days but it should heal nicely.
So I learned a couple things this morning. One is that I should pay more attention to Aubrie when she says she's hurt because I feel bad that I was so distracted at first. Secondly, I realized that it is possible to take all three kids out in public and survive.
Oh and the way she hurt her foot was that she stepped on a toy shopping cart to turn on the light and it broke, causing a jagged and sharp piece of the plastic to slice open her toe. Ouch! We threw that toy out of course.
Sorry that the pic is kind of gross but this is how it looked after getting glued shut.
So that was our morning!
1 comment:
Ouch! Looking at that picture made my insides cringe!
I'm glad to hear your first trip out with the 3 kids was a success, considering the circumstances.
Post a Comment