Monday, September 29, 2008

S.O.S.

Okay, so I'm going to take the advice of one friend and cut out milk from my diet in hopes that it will help solve some of Christian's gas problems. I'm also going to cut out caffeine which is a little difficult for me since I'm slightly addicted to having a diet pepsi once in awhile (which really has very low amounts of caffeine, but it's worth a shot). Other than that, I can't think of anything signifcant in my diet that would be a problem.

Plus, why does it seem that the "medical professionals" always disagree on the topic of certain foods bothering breast feeding babies? I've been told that they do and that they don't. So I don't even know...

Also, why does it seem that right after I write a post about how much better I'm doing, things quickly go downhill? I had the most awful night the other night because Christian cried for hours and was totally inconsolable. He's never been that bad and I think he was having gas pains again. I was so exhausted! I had to put him in his bassinet for 10-15 minutes and give myself an emotional break because I just felt so frustrated and helpless. He screamed so hard. I finally got a teeny bit of sleep after I swaddled him tight and got him to calm down. I felt like a complete wreck the next morning though. He grunts, kicks, fusses, and strains. He may drift off to sleep for a few minutes, only to wake right up again and do the same things. I get so tired! I haven't had more than a two hour block of sleep in a whole month. Ahh!

I need help and ideas! Anybody else have any hopeful and helpful insights for dealing with a gassy baby? He's four weeks old now and if anything, I hope he outgrows it within the next month or two.

What else can I do?? Any ideas?? I've tried everything I know to do. Mylicon gas relief drops don't seem to help at all. So, I'll try this no milk and no caffeine thing and let a week or so go by and see if I notice a difference.

I'm sorry to complain. I'll get through this. Thankfully, it's not this bad every night. Just most nights.

3 comments:

The Three 22nds said...

My only trouble with stuff like that was with Roman, my 2nd. Turned out he had acid reflux. Doc put him on some meds at 2 weeks and he got much better. Is he spitting up a lot? I know that people hate to put babies on meds...but I am telling you, that if it is reflux you want to address it right away...

There seems to be less to be done about gas. bicycling legs, putting them on their stomachs and rubbing their backs helped my kids when they had some trouble, but like i said we never had big time gassy problems.

You'll make it :)

And I know. It is VERY DIFFICULT to deal with anything on hardly any sleep. Hope it gets better.

LS said...

Les,
Justus had a rough weekend gas-wise and we found that swaddling helped some, putting him in his sling helped some (and helped me have hands free to cook supper), and lots of walking, bouncing, etc. We were so tired and frustrated after only a couple of days of it I can't imagine how awful and how tired you must feel. Do put the baby down sometimes and give yourself a little break. He won't die, and you need to re-coup and regain your sanity.
My friend who had troubles with her daughter recently said Gripe Water (which you can buy at Walgreens) is WAY more effective than mylecone gas drops.
It's true he will outgrow it but that doesn't make it any easier right now!
I hope the lactose-free diet really helps. I remember how Ali only gave us 2 hour chunks of sleep and how exhausted we were. Hang in there buddy!

R Dvorak said...

Is he having regular BMs? Sometimes along with digestive trouble comes irregular BMs and that just adds to the discomfort. I have occassionaly logged the kinds of diapers I change to see how often and how loose my baby is. It can help to make sure a soft BM comes every few days, because a constapated baby won't release gas easily. My doctors said, never give laxitive meds by mouth because they become addictive. But if a baby needs help, then a Babylax suppository may help. If you think this might help and you want further instructions, let me know and I can give more details.

I know this will pass. And remember, it takes time for your current "experiment." I'll pray for your sanity and patience, I know it can be tough. When Janema was an infant, I was constantly soothing her and feeding her and it seemed she was never satisfied.

One day, when I REALLY needed rest, God provided Jonathan's sister. She was on vacation and staying with my mother in law. She had already had three kids and knew what she was doing when caring for babies. I fed Janema really well and went to bed. Deb stayed in the house and watched the girls for me for about 4 hours. I slept and trusted. It was much needed and so helpful.

I trust you will receive the breaks you require and the strength you need. You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you.

Love you, Lady. You can do this. You are a great mom. And I'm praying for you.