Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Insights of a Four Year Old

Lately, Aubrie has been asking both Sam and me about her behavior. For instance, our conversation goes something like this:

"Mommy, have I been good?"

"Well, sometimes you're good but sometimes you disobey and aren't."

(in frustration) "Well, I can't do it! I'm working on it, but I need God to help me be good. I can't do it by myself. Can I pray?"

"Of course. You can pray whenever you want to."

"Dear Jesus, please help me to be good. Amen."

Wow! I can't believe the things that she can understand already. It truly humbles me. We truly do need God's help and I'm glad she recognizes this and is asking for it.

2 comments:

The Three 22nds said...

That is SO COOL! How old is she? My son went through a really sensitive time like that when he was newly 4. Lots of questions about God and concerns about Heaven etc.

R Dvorak said...

We can learn so much form our kids. I often reflect on the life truths I have learned since being a mom. Like: Exercise is natural and built into our being. And take time to pretend and imagine because life can be dull. Or accept others no matter who they are or what they look like and don't judge people. Etc. It is amazing all my kids remind me of regularly. Thanks for sharing these insights.