Friday, September 26, 2008

Getting back on track

I finally feel like my life is getting somewhat back to normal, whatever that means. I guess I just don't feel so incredibly overwhelmed all the time anymore. Things can still get very hectic with three kids but I feel like I'm better able to handle it. God is so good. I'm thankful he's brought me through the last few difficult weeks. I'm still not getting the sleep I'd like but in the midst of it all, I am grateful for what I have. I think Christian would sleep much better at night if he weren't so gassy. Anybody have any tips on how to deal with that? I've really tried everything, including those Mylicon gas relief drops. When he's not gassy and he just relaxes, he sleeps really good! But when he is gassy, he strains, grunts, kicks, and fusses constantly! Well, I guess I'll just have to wait for him to outgrow it but boy does it make for some rough nights.

It was very refreshing and revitalizing to get out yesterday afternoon for awhile with the pro-life group I work with for the first time since I had Christian. I sure did miss it and the friends I volunteer with -- they've become like family to me. I know my life has changed and that my family needs to come first, but I look forward to helping out with this ministry as much as I can, even if it is less than it used to be.

So that's what's going on around here lately

3 comments:

R Dvorak said...

Janema was a gassy baby. The gass relief drops helped some, but the best solution I found was avoiding lactose. I had one doctor say that babies don't struggle with lactose and another that said they do, it wasn't until I talked to a friend that I got the motivation to try. What I had to do was avoid lactose of all kinds (milk, eggs, nuts, chocolate, whey, etc.) And it took 10 days for the lactose in my system to be gone and my mother's milk to be lactose free. But it made a HUGE difference. I could tell if I had lactose of any kind, Janema would be a completely different temperament. After she was 9 months old, I found it was no longer a problem. I ate a noodle salad by accident and it contained mayo, but she did fine. So I gradually increased my lactose and now she is perfectly fine and drinks milk regularly. I learned a lot about lactose during those months including that lactose sensitivity can be inherited. As soon as we told people I was avoiding lactose, we found a number of family members shared their "gassy" stories with us and said they had a lactose sensitivity too. I can't say that it is the same for Christian, but that was the solution for Janema.

I hope this helps. I believe in you!

LS said...

Les,
Glad you are feeling better! I started off great but now I am starting to feel overwhelmed by all the mess and wishing I had more sleep too. And Justus has been REALLY fussy the last two days. I've been using gas drops like crazy and rocking him and doing everything but to no avail. I hope it goes away and was just a certain food I ate recently.

It's funny because everything you have been talking about is just like our family. Jer used to seem like such a baby but now he's truly a middle kid. He throws a fit if we put him in the high chair so recently we've been letting him sit in the big chairs like Ali to avoid the whole screaming fight.

I LOVE your new blog look. Way cool!
Also the recent pics are adorable.
I hope you continue to regain your strength.

Oh...one more thing...the church insisted on throwing a shower for Justus even though I told them we didn't need ANYTHING. They mostly got Justus diapers and wipes (which we can use) but we decided to do an Abba's House donation shower so they brought gifts for the crisis pregnancy center in the town nearest us (30 miles).
So, I wanted to share that with you since you are into the pro-life cause!

Heather said...

Glad you're finding your new "normal." I'm so glad you can volunteer again, too! It's nice to get out and spend time benefitting people outside your family, isn't it?

Blessings to your family!