Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Waiting and Thinking

As I continue to have contractions that don't bring me to the hospital but instead die off eventually, I am wondering what "false labor" really is. Is false labor really false or should it be called "pre-labor"? What I mean is, with the two babies I've had, I've always ended up dialating well before I ever had them. I know a lot of people do this, but I also had contractions for what seemed like forever (just like I am now) and they would start and stop and drive me crazy. I know all about Braxton Hicks contractions but these seemed so much worse because every thing I read tells me the Braxton Hicks ones shouldn't hurt but mine were and are usually pretty uncomfortable and feel like real labor.

So what I'm wondering is, maybe my body is just doing all the early work at home as the days go by and maybe they're not such a waste of time after all. By the time I got to the hospital to have my girls, more so with my second baby, I was well into the second stage of labor already and things moved really fast from there. I hope all these annoying bouts of incresingly painful contractions that I'm having at home are actually working to do SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to get me to the goal of having this baby in my arms. I can hope, right?

I have a doctor appointment in two days and will hopefully know a little more then to see if I've made any progress. I also know that things can change very quickly and it is my prayer that God brings this baby soon even though sometimes it feels like it will never happen.

1 comment:

LS said...

I'm hoping your big day is coming soon and can't wait to see pics of your little guy! It took me about 25 hours of false labor to get to 3 cm but then I went from 3-5 in two hours and from 5-10 in two hours!
When I was in labor Sat. I kept thinking, "If I was Lesley I would have had him around 6 am! However, those two hour labors have got to be a killer!
Enjoy every chance you get to sleep. Justus doesn't like to go to bed until about 5 a.m. and then he's up again at 8 or 9am! I'm soooo tired!