Monday, August 11, 2008

100 Things About Me

I decided to copy a few of my friends who have been writing these "100 things about me" posts because I had so much fun reading them and hoped you might not be too bored reading mine! :) So, here they are!

1. I met my husband at a summer Bible study that took place at the college I attended.

2. Before he was my husband or before I dated him, Sam scared and overwhelmed me and I used to hide from him and tell my roomates I wasn't home when he came to visit!

3. One day, after I had really given Sam the brush-off, I decided that even though he had come on a little strong at first, I would be a fool to pass up getting to know such a great guy with a true heart for God. So, I gave the poor boy a chance.

4. A few months later, we were engaged :)

5. He asked my parents for their blessing to marry me while we were visiting them in Montana. They gladly gave it to him.

6. I love volleyball and miss playing it very much. I can't play while I'm huge and pregnant, but hope to get back into it as soon as I can -- maybe start a team at church or something.

7. I got decent grades in college but could have probably gotten near perfect ones if I hadn't spent so much time socializing :)

8. I worked in the "Writing Center" in college for a few years and helped students write papers and corrected and edited for them. Some people were grateful for my suggestions but some people, who were forced to see me by their professor, were not as grateful.

9. I love spelling and always have. Once, I passed a test to get into a special spelling bee in middle school, but I refused to participate because I was too shy to get in front of so many people.

10. As you can guess, I hate speaking in front of groups. I have, however, gotten better at it over the years.

11. When I get super nervous, I sometimes feel like throwing up and passing out.

12. I got braces in the fourth grade. After four years, we switched orthodontists and he told me that the last guy had really screwed up and I had to get a new set and start all over, and I had to wear the second set all the way until the beginning of my freshman year of college. I was NOT happy about that.

13. I don't chew gum because it hurts my jaw. There's something wrong with my TMJ joint and it crunches when I open my mouth too wide.

14. I was born with what's called a cleft lip. I had surgery right away to repair it and then had about 5 more reconstructive surgeries over the course of my life. The last one I had was when I was 20.

15. I had jaw surgery and all four of my wisdom teeth removed at the same time when I was 18. My jaw was wired shut for 6 weeks and I lost about 25 pounds.

16. I believe that what I have been through in life has made me a stronger person and definitely more sensitive to other people's pain.

17. Sometimes I am too sensitive.

18. I often feel sorry for the elderly and try to go out of my way to talk with them and make them feel special when I can. I know I don't want to be ignored when I'm old.

19. I struggle with feeling anxious about things I cannot change.

20. I can't stand when people are fake.

21. I love when people are real.

22. I really value my friendships and should probably let those people know it more often.

23. I am real close to my mom.

24. I have gotten much closer to my dad.

25. I am the youngest of three. I have an older brother by 21 months and an older sister by 5 years.

26. I have no problem spending time alone and often enjoy it.

27. However, I am also quite social and outgoing and also enjoy being with people.

28. I like to make people laugh. And I love when people make me laugh.

29. I still laugh about things that happened years ago. Sometimes I just lay in bed at night and laugh and laugh about things I remember. My mom is the same way.

30. I've come a long way in gaining self confidence but of course still struggle with it at times. Motherhood has helped in this area.

31. I would do absolutely anything to protect my kids.

32. I can be a Mama Bear when I need to be if I feel my kids' well being is being threatened. Or sometimes I just get over protective.

33. I'd rather be over protective than under protective and neglectful.

34. I have 5 neices and 4 nephews on my side of the family.

35. I baby-sat a lot, starting when I was about 11 years old.

36. I always wished for a younger sibling, especially a little sister.

37. I sometimes wished I had a twin sister.

38. I almost always check on my kids long after everyone has gone to bed to make sure they are still breathing and covered with their blankets.

39. I was so excited when I found out my first baby was a girl. I was just as excited when I found out my second was a girl because I loved the idea of two little girls and them being sisters and friends. I was just as thrilled when I found out our third was a boy and wonder what it will be like now that I'm due in three weeks!

40. I can tell my mom anything and not feel ashamed.

41. I have a vivid imagination and spent countless hours making up stories and games when I was a child.

42. I used to think I was going to be a career woman and make a good income aside from my husband and maybe have kids, but not for a long time.

43. I really changed my mind and now LOVE being a young mom and staying at home with them. (most days :))

44. I was born in Oregon.

45. I lived in Massachusetts from the time I was a baby until I was 8 years old.

46. Even though it's been a long time, I miss the ocean.

47. I once set a record for doing the most pull-ups of any girl in my elementary school. I did 15. The following year, that record was broken by a gymnast who did 22!

48. I had an obsession with winning the Presidential Physical Fitness Award every year I could until it was no longer offered in 10th grade.

49. When we moved to MN, I did the mile run for gym class which I had never done in MA and my time was 7 minutes, 34 seconds.

50. Every year, it got harder to win that award.

51. I can memorize things really easily. I usually memorize things word for word and this has helped me greatly on tests. However, I'm not sure I learn much this way.

52. I am 5 feet three inches tall. (Okay, so maybe 5 2 1/2)

53. I had a really mean third grade teacher who accused me of having candy in my desk when she smelled my strawberry chapstick.

54. I took piano lessons for several years but am not good at playing.

55. I loved choir in 9-12 grade more than any other class I took.

56. I come from a musical family. Even though I stink at the piano, I can still read notes pretty well and sight read.

57. I absolutely love learning other languages and it comes to me pretty easily.

58. I also love learning about other cultures.

59. I went to Rome, Italy when I was 15 where my aunt and uncle are missionaries. It was awesome!!!

60. The best ice cream I've ever tasted was in Rome.

61. I used to think I wanted to be a missionary in a foreign country but don't feel called to do that anymore. That could change one day, of course.

62. I have a soft spot for any person or animal who is suffering or in pain. I agonize over it and my heart breaks for the longest time after I see anybody or anything suffering.

63. I used to think the surgeries I've had involved extreme physical pain. That was before I experienced natural childbirth. Now THAT is extreme pain.

64. I think I have an unusual sense of humor. I often crack up over the craziest things. My husband has learned to get used to me.

65. I haven't slept well since I had my first baby. I hope this changes someday.

66. I am terrified of the dentist but what can you expect after what I've endured. I was once getting an inflamed spot of gum tissue burned off (yes, burned off by some dentistry tool) and when I jumped in pain, the dentist practically yelled, "How can that hurt?!" That was the same dentist that screwed up my first set of braces.

67. I love to have long conversations with my husband after the girls are in bed.

68. I think my love language is words of affirmation but I haven't read the book in awhile so I'm not sure.

69. I can't stand clutter because it causes me to be very stressed.

70. I am overwhelmed by hosting a lot of people at my house at once.

71. Even though I've had two kids, I still get a little anxious and wonder if I'll know how to take care of a newborn.

72. I love the smell of my girls after a bath and some baby lotion.

73. I love comfortable pajamas.

74. I hate the sound of alarm clocks going off.

75. I have always hated needles and one time I passed out and hit my head on a table when I was getting my finger pricked. I don't think it was because of any pain because it didn't really hurt. I think it's because I was about to have surgery and hadn't been allowed to eat since the night before and was feeling woozy to begin with.

76. I can be very stubborn. When I set my mind on something, I stick with it.

77. My husband has taught me many, many things. One of them is to be more gracious and forgiving.

78. My husband has also inspired me to draw closer to God like I've never done before.

79. In college, I didn't think anyone as good as my husband existed, at least on our campus. And I guess they didn't, since my husband didn't attend the same school.

80. I can be very cranky when I'm in a hurry to get out the door and my kids are slowing me down.

81. I can't stand a dirty, cluttered bathroom. Or any room, for that matter.

82. I've never broken any bones. I did severely sprain my ankle, though when I was 15 and tore a bunch of ligaments.

83. The best friends I've ever made and kept were in college.

84. I was a much different person in high school than I am now. I guess my priorities are so much different than they used to be. And that's a very good thing.

85. There are so many aunts, uncles, and cousins who I hardly know and that makes me sad. My extended family has always been kind of scattered all over the country and world.

86. I am so grateful for the many, many times God hasn't given up on me when He had every reason to.

87. Looking back on my life, I can remember many times where I was probably in danger and God protected me even though I didn't have a clue at the time.

88. It's been a long time since I've had a speeding ticket and I hope to keep it that way. (Kristin, how come you always got off with warnings only??? Not fair! :) )

89. Shopping for clothes is not as much fun as it used to be, except when I'm buying them for my kids. Why is that?

90. I absolutely love a good thunderstorm.

91. I am amazed by God's grace.

92. I am also becoming increasingly aware that God is to be taken seriously when He says something and that He expects obedience.

93. I like to have answers to things. I often search and study something to death until I've got it figured out but when I don't get it figured out, I am very frustrated.

94. I love to research and study interesting topics.

95. I love reading and hearing about other people's lives and what they've been through.

96. I am far from perfect, but I consider myself a very loyal friend.

97. I worry too much.

98. I often lay in bed at night and think about the many things I need to work on and change in my life.

99. I sometimes feel like a failure as a parent but am always striving to do better.

100. Today, I had a really rough day with Aubrie because she was especially naughty. However, when we were at VBS at church tonight, guess what little girl out of all the kids won a t-shirt for having the best behavior and listening so well? Yup, Aubrie. I made sure to let her know how proud of her I was. Maybe we're doing something right as parents?

4 comments:

LS said...

I love reading these lists and I found out a lot that I didn't know about you! I can't believe your dentist! Dentists are some of the scariest people alive; really and truly!

The one about Aubrie sounds like my life too. Ali can be perfect at church but not at home!

You'll be a great mom to Christian and all that newborn stuff will come back to you instantly. And maybe you'll actually get to sleep a little bit this time around!

R Dvorak said...

You are wonderful. I love reading these lists. I always learn so much about my good friend. God is growing you into exactly the person He wants you to be. Congratulations on the progress. I just love being your friend and I miss seeing you face to face. I am reminded to be thankful for computer technology that allows us to stay connected and continue to uplift each other.

Anonymous said...

This is amazing,
Thanks Lesley!

Kristin said...

That'a amazing about you doing 15 pull-ups! I could never do even one! I have no upper body strength.

As far as the tickets go, I have no idea! But not every time I've been pulled over has been for speeding.