Hello everyone,
This is Sam, filling in for Lesley. She is currently with our little boy at the hospital while I am with the girls at home. We are waiting for my mother to return so I can bring them to meet Christian Asher Larson. He is 7lbs 9.5 ounces. He was born around 3:14 am.
It all started when Lesley woke me up with a shout. I looked to the bedroom door and saw her on her hands and knees breathing through a contraction. She was in instant agony and we waited to see if a second one of the same caliber would come. It did, and we were off in the car cruising across the bridge. At one point I imagined getting pulled over for exceeding the speed limit, as was Lesley. Low and behold, as we pull up the off ramp, a vehicle was following close behind. As we pulled away, I saw the state trooper behind us make a left turn. Boy, was that close. We then tried to find a parking spot, and cirlced around the block. I should of dropped her off, seeing that we had a several block walk, with 5 minute killer contractions slamming Lesley. She had to walk slow and was limping with me.
We made it to the ER and they had the receptionist wheel Lesley upstairs to the birthing center. From there they hooked her up to the machines around 1:10 am and she proceeded to naturally have strong close contractions starting at 4 centimeters and quickly moving to about 7-8 centimeters in the next hour. The doctor was called and he ruptured the membrane. Lesley quickly moved to full dilation. She had originally asked for an epidural immediately, but they could only give her Stadol because she was flying along at an incredible rate, like a supersonic jet. Sometime close to 3:00 am she started to push. I have never seen anything like it. She pushed on what I remember as 5-7 contractions that were about 10 seconds apart. I've never seen such a fierce countenance on her face as she pushed with all her might twice per contraction. Christian was the fastest out of our three children to come out. I think the contraction was done and she was still pushing as he quickly went right into the hands of the doctor. Michael Phelps (8 gold medalist in Olympics) doesn't have anything on this woman.
She never got her epidural, and things didn't really go the way she had planned. But in spite of it all, God gave her super-Lesley strength, and I will never look at her the same way again. I don't think I can ever complain about anything in light of the revelation I have received this early early morning on the shores of Lake Superior, six stories up.
Sam
This is Sam, filling in for Lesley. She is currently with our little boy at the hospital while I am with the girls at home. We are waiting for my mother to return so I can bring them to meet Christian Asher Larson. He is 7lbs 9.5 ounces. He was born around 3:14 am.
It all started when Lesley woke me up with a shout. I looked to the bedroom door and saw her on her hands and knees breathing through a contraction. She was in instant agony and we waited to see if a second one of the same caliber would come. It did, and we were off in the car cruising across the bridge. At one point I imagined getting pulled over for exceeding the speed limit, as was Lesley. Low and behold, as we pull up the off ramp, a vehicle was following close behind. As we pulled away, I saw the state trooper behind us make a left turn. Boy, was that close. We then tried to find a parking spot, and cirlced around the block. I should of dropped her off, seeing that we had a several block walk, with 5 minute killer contractions slamming Lesley. She had to walk slow and was limping with me.
We made it to the ER and they had the receptionist wheel Lesley upstairs to the birthing center. From there they hooked her up to the machines around 1:10 am and she proceeded to naturally have strong close contractions starting at 4 centimeters and quickly moving to about 7-8 centimeters in the next hour. The doctor was called and he ruptured the membrane. Lesley quickly moved to full dilation. She had originally asked for an epidural immediately, but they could only give her Stadol because she was flying along at an incredible rate, like a supersonic jet. Sometime close to 3:00 am she started to push. I have never seen anything like it. She pushed on what I remember as 5-7 contractions that were about 10 seconds apart. I've never seen such a fierce countenance on her face as she pushed with all her might twice per contraction. Christian was the fastest out of our three children to come out. I think the contraction was done and she was still pushing as he quickly went right into the hands of the doctor. Michael Phelps (8 gold medalist in Olympics) doesn't have anything on this woman.
She never got her epidural, and things didn't really go the way she had planned. But in spite of it all, God gave her super-Lesley strength, and I will never look at her the same way again. I don't think I can ever complain about anything in light of the revelation I have received this early early morning on the shores of Lake Superior, six stories up.
Sam
9 comments:
Yea! Congratulations! We are very happy for you guys are so glad that Christian made a safe and healthy appearance into this world, even if it was speedy!
Maybe it's a boy thing...Noah's delivery was super-fast too! :-)
Congratulations! It is the 3rd baby thing. I have had 2 L & D nurses tell me that no one wants the 3rd time moms...those 3rd baby deliveries are unpredictable.
I am sure it was unpleasant, but at least it was over quickly! (I know at the time though it feels like every contraction is an eternity...)
WOOHOO!!!!!!! We are so glad to hear that Christian is here safe and sound. Congratulations! Sam, you are a great writer. I am always sucked into labor stories, but I was on the edge of my seat reading this one...for real! :) We can't wait to see pictures and meet your new little one before too much time passes.
Love, Anne and the gang
That was a very adorable (and yet manly too) birth story Sam! I can't wait to hear it from Lesley's perspective too! I am so glad it is all over and it's cool that he made it in the month of August! It's precious how much you appreciate all your wife went through to bring your son into the world!
I cringed when I heard that all she could have was Stadol. From what I've heard, that doesn't do much of anything except make you feel groggy! Poor thing! At least it went really fast and was over quickly!
I'm sorry I missed your phone call Lesley. I'll call you in the next couple of days. I was up at church camp this weekend.
Post pics soon!
Congratulations Les and Sam!!!! Sam... great description of the night! I felt as though I was right there with you both! :) Thanks for sharing! :) I hope you have a wonderful time getting to know your new son!
Congratulations Sam and Lesley and girls! Hope that everything is going well and can't wait to see pictures of the little guy!
Congratulations to you all! I am so glad that mom and baby are doing well. (I love the Michael Phelps comment too! You seriously DO deserve a gold medal Lesley!)
Yeah! A couple of pics! He's a cutie pie!!!! The girls look excited! Can't wait to see more pics in the coming days. Can you believe we've already both made it past the finish line? Wasn't it just yesterday we were eating at McDonald's in Bemidji together.........?
I loved having Sam write the post! It is always fun to get the husbands perspective. I laughed out loud about the michael phelps comment and thought it was a very sweet post, well done.
Post a Comment