Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The things we hear...

I thought it would be a good idea to share with you some of the things we often hear from pro-abortion people and what my response is or what it would be if I had the opportunity to talk. In the past year, I have learned so much and I think it is helpful for all those who call themselves pro-life to know the facts because you never know when you might need them in particular conversations. (Check out http://www.justthefacts.org/ for great information on life in the womb.)

Although it is God alone that does the life saving, I know he uses His people in the process and there are some answers we need to have. So, here are some of the things we hear or see and my response:

**If I had a baby with special needs or problems, I just know I couldn't handle it. So, it is better to abort. I would say this is the responsible thing to do.

As difficult as it may be to have a child with special needs or problems, I don't believe you can make the assertion that you couldn't handle it if you've never tried it before. God is willing and able to help us and He promises that He will never give us more than we can handle. I've heard and read so many testimonies of women who have had babies with things such as downs syndrome or other disabilities and they almost all say that although difficult at times, their baby has been the hugest blessing in their lives. Also, if you really were to have a baby that you think you couldn't handle taking care of, there are thousands of people out there willing to adopt special needs babies.

We are not the ones to decide if a baby should live or not. We can not determine their "quality of life." Is is never our decision to decide if someone would be better off dying because maybe that person would want to live regardless of their difficulties! There are recources out there for parents who have special need babies. There is support and help. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is never right and never responsible to abort.

*Don't you have something better to do with your time? What about all the children who are hungry and suffering? Why don't you do something to help them?

It is sad that so many children are suffering in our world. It grieves me to know there are little ones who are hungry and struggling. We should all help in this area as much as we can but I believe it is just as important to fight for the sanctity of life. Helping in one area does not mean that we should ignore other areas of need. Babies in the womb are just as important as those out of it. We are called to give aid in many areas of ministry. I can send money to places such as World Vision to help children who are hungry but the pro-life work is also crucial.

*Get a life!

We're trying! We're trying to save them.

*I'm pro-life except in cases of rape, incest, or risk to the mother.

If you are truly pro-life, then you must be pro-life in ALL areas. God has told us murder is wrong and gave us no exceptions. Rape and incest are tragic situations but I can tell you that I have read testimonies and articles of women in these situations and this is what I found to be true: having an abortion in these cases only adds pain to an already suffering mother. A baby conceived in rape or incest is not guilty of any crime and does not deserve to be killed. The baby is always innocent. Having an abortion does not take away the crime. It only heaps more pain onto the mother. Girls who have been raped have said that giving life to their babies was the best decision they could have made. Those who aborted have said it was the worst and that they are still suffering as a result.

Also, it is extremely rare for a situation to arise where choosing to give life to your baby would result in harm to the mother. People often try to throw out this argument in favor of abortion, but the cases of rape, incest, and risk to the mother account for less than 1%, I believe, of all abortions. The number one reason given is almost always that the person just doesn't want a baby. Or they don't want their college plans interrupted. Or they just think they're too young. And again, it comes down to the same thing over and over and that is that it is never justified to abort.


*This is my friend's decision and I'm not going to push my beliefs on her. I wouldn't have an abortion myself but I can't tell her not to.

Yes you can! As her friend, you would help her avoid huge amounts of suffering down the road if you convince her not to do this. Abortion hurts women. Women are much more likely to suffer from depression, attempt suicide, and have countless other problems including cancer if they choose to abort. Telling your friend the truth is not wrong. If you knew she was about to go walk off a cliff, would you merely step out of the way, or worse, escort her to the edge? If she goes through with this and is having extreme regret and pain down the road, wouldn't you want to know you tried to stop her and help her? A real friend tells the truth even when it's hard. You could be the one to give her the hope she needs.

*A middle finger is flashed our way or other obscenities are shouted

We smile and wave. Not only is this a good reaction to foolishness but it often throws the person off. In trying to insult us, they can't understand it.

In closing, these are just a few of the many things I've heard over the past year. For the sake of time, I can't give the rest right now but there are definitely others. Maybe I can share them another time if you're interested. I don't always say or do the perfect thing or have the perfect response but I try to go as God leads. It is not my words that will change people but only the power of God opening their hearts and minds.

Also, each and every person we come across is different and may require a different response. When I'm actually talking to a girl going in for an abortion and not just a passerby that wants to criticize pro-life work , I usually talk more about their baby being a person and being very much alive and wanting to live. I often tell them that they will never regret being a mom but that abortion is something they will always regret. I offer them our help and resources. I tell them to look at their ultrasound. I talk about their baby's heart beating at that very moment and ask them to choose life.

Surprisingly, I haven't heard from anyone the idea that their baby isn't really a baby but is just a piece of tissue or something. I was told when I first started sidewalk counseling that most, if not all, women going in for an abortion know the truth and know that it is a baby they are carrying. It defies all logic and reason for anyone to say otherwise. Anybody who studies what truly happens from the moment of conception should know this argument doesn't make sense.

The people I sidewalk counsel with are awesome and are very good at presenting the gospel during our time on the streets. It is great to have the opportunity to not only stand up for these babies but to witness the gospel being given and truth and hope being offered. I pray for more courage and that God would equip me to give the words the Holy Spirit puts on my heart. One man I sidewalk counsel with once told me that he can sometimes sense when he needs to be speaking more gently and tenderly to someone. Then, there are times where a more tougher approach is needed. It is amazing how God knows and sees it all and it is our prayer that we can be used accordingly.

"Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. If you say, 'But we knew nothing about this,' does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done?" Proverbs 24:11-12

We are engaged in a very real battle here but God is working. Are you with me? Will you stand for these innocent ones that cannot stand for themselves?





4 comments:

S. and Company said...

Thank you for sharing Lesley. Praise God for the baby you mentioned in the last post who wasn't aborted! I don't have time now, but I would like to share something interesting with you about this issue, maybe next week after I'm back from a little trip. I'll look for your email address...
I appreciated reading what you had to say about how you respond to people.
Thanks again,
love,
Natalie

The Three 22nds said...

Very interesting!

I read an article in a magazine (I think it was eighteen...I was at work, I know, trashy) several years ago about abortion clinics changing their tactics. There is no way they can convince the girls that the babies aren't really living, separate beings anymore. Now they just try to convince them that the baby will be better off not being born into this harsh world. They would give the girls a rock to remember their baby by.

That article floored me!

I would really like to pursue SANE (sexual assualt nurse examinar) training and get a job in an ED doing that, but I have heard that they are the ones who counsel and administer the morning after pill...so it would be a great ministry area, but a too big of a moral dilemma to justify it, I think.

LS said...

Thanks for sharing this! I agree that standing for life is sooooo important and this is a vital ministry. Heartbreaking, but necessary to fight for.

Leah said...

Thank you so much for writing this Lesley. Your answers are very good!