Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Good Man

Sometimes you have to deal with interesting people at work. My husband does. In fact, I'm not quite sure that "interesting" would be the right word. But it is a secular work environment and so he just expects that he is going to probably hear things he doesn't want to hear. The men that Sam works with can be surprisingly immature and talk about very inappropriate things. Why they do this is beyond me but it poses a daily challenge for Sam as he has to tune out a lot of verbal garbage and be sure he is maintaining a Christ like witness in a place where talking about God can actually get you fired. Why is it that men can get away with talk that is so foul it could be labeled as harassment by some and yet speaking about our Great and Glorious God is forbidden? Now that is just wrong.

Anyway, I am getting off track here. A couple weeks ago when we were all at the dinner table together, Sam was talking about work and how some of the guys had been teasing him and saying that he should divorce me to somehow get a better deal on his taxes. They joke and say stuff like this all the time to each other and this didn't bother me at all. I continued eating and listening to the story. Then one guy took the joke further and said, "Or you could just shop for a new wife."

Again, I just sort of rolled my eyes, not thinking much of this. But the next words out of Sam's mouth stopped me and got my attention.

He got a very serious look on his face and said, "And I told them, 'I wouldn't trade my wife for anything. She is the best wife I could ever have.'"

I stared at him and said, "really?! You said that?" My voice was getting all squeaky and I even was getting a little teary eyed.

Sam gave me a big smile and said, "Yeah."

I stood up, he stood up, and much to our kids' amusement, we hugged each other over the dinner table.

"That means so much to me,"I sputtered and Sam just smiled at my over- emotionalism.

I'm not sure why this touched my heart so deeply. This is what a good husband should say, right? Maybe I was thinking about all the times I haven't been a perfect wife or treated him the way I should. Maybe I was thinking about how he could have just ignored the rude comments his co-workers were saying like he usually does. Maybe I was thinking about how it is not a common thing for men to talk up their wives at work but instead to tear them down and how glad I am that I have a husband that doesn't go with the liberal flow.

Regardless of what I was thinking, let's just say it was nice to know my hubby stood up for me that day. It meant a lot to me.

This story also served as a reminder for me to keep watch on my tongue and be sure that when I'm hanging out with friends or with anybody that I am not tearing my husband down, even if it is only joking. Knowing Sam's comment meant so much to me tells me that it would probably mean a lot to him if I built him up and praised him too.

So excuse me while I brag on my husband a little bit but can I just say that he is one of the most intelligent, compassionate men I have ever met? He can fix absolutely anything that is broken, he can figure anything out even if he hasn't done it before, he is the most wonderful daddy and husband, he is a gifted musician and songwriter, he is kind, patient, slow to anger, and has a strong relationship with God and is devoted to Him in prayer.

He cares about people, he cares deeply about babies in the womb and protecting them from the crime of abortion, and he cares about doing the right thing even when it isn't popular.

He is a man worthy of my love and respect not based on what he does but based on the fact that he is made in God's image and that God made him to be my spouse and partner, my team mate, co-worker, and friend.

So there's my gushy post. I'll stop now. Now go give your husband (if you have one) a hug and tell him you appreciate him. :)

5 comments:

LS said...

Wow! This was so well-written and heartfelt it made me tear up!

Sam is totally and completely the perfect guy for you. A God-ordained match! He is such a nice guy, good dad, and loving husband. I'm so, so happy that God brought you together and through your love made beautiful babies!

Way to go Sam! You may never know how much the little things you say impact those guys! Josiah used to get teased by the Valvoline guys incessantly right before we were married and in the year after.

Karen said...

It is a blessing to see an shining example of a godly marriage. This is a story that those co-workers and many other people like them need to hear.

S. and Company said...

Hi Lesley!
What a great husband you have! Thanks for sharing. :o)
I hope everyone is doing well. I haven't spent much time on the computer in the past month or so to write responses to what I've been reading, but I enjoy what you have to say! (Random side note; in the past I have thought that Kayley sounds a lot like Seth, and when you wrote about her forehead incident I really thought so! He had almost the exact same thing happen when he was about 2 and a half!)
Anyway, hope you're having a great spring,
Blessings to you all!

Mom said...

Dad and I know you've got a winner!

Leah said...

This is such a blessing to read Lesley!