Friday, June 5, 2009

Weary

I am weary. It's been a long week. Like I said in my previous post, Sam has worked some different than normal work shifts this week and has been gone for 14 hours at a time, including his drive time and I've sort of felt like a single parent for a few days. On top of that, we've had pink eye, ear infections, and colds making the rounds among our kids. I'm so thankful that God provided this job, though because Sam loves it and is always learning new things, and God is using it to supply all our needs.

But I'm tired.


Sam and I have written a few e-mails back and forth tonight while he's at work and in one of my e-mails, I was telling him about how tired I was and how I was looking forward to him getting back to his normal schedule.
And then he wrote back. And let me tell you, his words nearly brought me to tears. He is so good to me. It was just what I needed to hear. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing with you what he wrote:

"You have had many difficult things to deal with in the role of motherhood. They will grow up and leave the nest someday, it is temporary and will pass. Then you will miss this time and wish it back, but alas, it is not to be. Enjoy the struggle, for with it comes great joy and knowing you are doing the right thing to raise these little ones unto the Lord. Fulfilling your duties by being faithful with these three will receive a greater reward than many who appear to have great ministries and accomplish great feats for the Lord. Be faithful and you will receive your reward."

Amazing words that were so encouraging to my weary soul.

He's right, though because even though things can seem so hard when I'm in the midst of the every day struggles and challenges, all I have to do is look at Christian and see how the months have raced by and I realize that this time with my kids being little is so short. I know it drives some moms crazy when they are exhausted with a new baby and people tell them, "Enjoy these days because they are so short!" But, it's true. It seems like I just blink and all three kids are looking older.

It's something I need to remind myself of when I am in the daily grind of wiping bottoms, cleaning floors, picking up toys, changing diapers, hauling laundry up and down the stairs, cooking meals, wiping up messes, responding to constant requests, soothing a fussy baby, kissing owies, breaking up sister spats, protecting my very active 9 month old from hazards around the house, brushing hair, putting clothes on little people, buckling seat belts, carrying in groceries, ....oh wait...that's right. These days are short. Someday I'll be doing lots of different things. And wondering where these days went.

Help me, Lord to be thankful for every moment, even when it's hard. I am so blessed and may I not ever forget that.



4 comments:

Kristin said...

Thank you so much for this reminder. While reading it, you gave me chills and made me tear-up. Reminders like this are such an encouragement to me because like you said, it's so easy to get caught up in the daily grind and forget that we are incredibly blessed to be given this task of raising little ones for the Lord.

Lesley said...

Thanks, Kristin -- I am so glad this post encouraged you!! :)

The Three 22nds said...

Hey...

glad to hear about the running! You must have gotten some shoes?

one of my emails

theanticsofthethree22nds at gmail dot com

I don't have time to respond now...but I have a couple tips :)

LS said...

I know how you feel! Weariness seems to be the typical mom feeling with 3 (at least for me!) Stopping to think about our boys turning one very soon is just a great reminder for me of how fast this year went even though some of those cold, icky days or days of poopy messes and screaming and fighting seemed to last forever!

What a blessing to have a husband who validates your job/role and supports you in it! I loved his birthday gift thing by the way. You can often find me getting something like that at Walgreens too.

I still can't believe Christian stands in his crib. My little guy is just starting to crawl!