Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hello!

How is everyone enjoying their summer? I guess I don't really feel like we've had summer yet here and it blows my mind that it's already August! With only a few warm days, I feel sort of cheated out of summer. We didn't even get a pool this summer like we had meant to because it was just not worth it with so few days to use it. I ended up taking big, plastic bins outside on the two hottest days of the year and filling them with water from the hose and all three kids had a blast splashing and playing in those. Who needs a pool when you can have fun like that? ;-)

Aubrie owns two pairs of shorts and has only needed to wear them a handful of times. Kayley refuses to wear anything but a pink, long sleeved button up shirt no matter what the temperature is and so I didn't even need to buy her summer clothes. She's going through a fun phase where she is very particular about her clothes. On the days that we are staying home, I let her pick her own outfits which often end up being a mix of some very interesting choices. On days we are out and about or going to church, I pick her clothes, dig my toe in the line, and prepare for battle. And I win. There are a lot of tears but I win.

Speaking of Kayley, she is now potty trained. For the most part. Hurray! After months of power struggles and nothing being successful, I finally took all the diapers, hid them in a closet, and had Sam take her to Walmart to pick out a pack of underwear. I told her, "no more diapers!" and that was that. I prepared myself for some major messes and decided I would just have to deal with that. And you know what -- after five days of being in underwear, she has only had one accident and that was my fault because I didn't take her to the bathroom in time because I got distracted. So, I'm proud of my girl and hoping we can kiss diapers good-bye forever! (except for using them on Christian of course)

Kayley will be three on the 10th and we are having a little party this Saturday with some friends from church coming over for a barbecue and cake. It will be fairly simple but she is easy to please and when asked what she wants for her birthday, she either says, "ice cream" or, "a dinosaur." I can certainly handle the first request and as for the second one, well, I'm not so sure.

I am also busy organizing curriculum and supplies for Aubrie starting kindergarten at home this fall. Some moments, I feel sheer panic about being responsible for her education and at other moments, I feel at peace and am more than ready to tackle it and get started. Since I know it is what we are supposed to do in our family, I know that God will help me to do it. So I just have to repeat that to myself over and over. And over.

Sam and I have been getting into running. There is a beautiful, paved trail near our house and sometimes we run together when his mom can watch the kids and sometimes we take turns. I must say that it's been pretty brutal getting started but my endurance is improving. We have been doing three miles and going every other day and I really want to stick with it. Sam is losing weight way faster than me, however and that is not fair. He starts running after not doing it for years and instantly starts shedding pounds. I, on the other hand, have to suffer blood, sweat, and tears and fight for every pound. Okay, so maybe it's not that dramatic but it is really hard work! Anyway, even though I want to quit within the first half mile, I feel amazing when I am done and there's just something about running with nothing but the wildlife and beautiful trees all around me that is a nice stress reliever.

August is looking to be a busy month and we will be gone for two of the weekends and have lots of other things planned. And of course, our baby boy is turning one on the 31st so that is exciting too! He took his first steps a couple of days ago and that was a fun event with the whole family witnessing it as we stood out in our yard cheering wildly for him. My baby boy is growing up!

Well, that is an update on us!

3 comments:

Leah said...

Lesley, we really enjoyed visiting with you all and hope to see you again soon!

For me this summer didn't seem so bad. Maybe it's just me, but being in the hundreds for a week was plenty warm...oh wait, that was in Nevada, sorry. :)

Glad to hear about your potty training success with Kayley, so sorry it was such a struggle.

As you prepare for school, remember Matthew 6:33, it was my Mom's motto in teaching us.

Running sounds like...pain, and fun.
God bless you guys, we love you!

The Three 22nds said...

Fun to get an update! Glad running is going well. Sounds like you are ready for a 5K!

I am trying to gear myself up for homeschooling and I am just not there yet...hopefully soon I will get organized!

LS said...

How is it possible that that little one is already 3! I remember when you were preggo with her! She is so pretty and such a sweet girl. Happy B-day to her!