Pretty soon, our lives will be changing around here. My firstborn daughter is starting kindergarten! And I'll be teaching her! Wow, I am so excited and nervous all at the same time. This home school thing is brand new to us but I think we're finally ready. I've been spending the past few days pouring over the teacher's manuals and curriculum, planning our schedule, organizing supplies, and having Sam help me transform our dining room area into a kindergarten classroom. I think we're just about ready!
The only thing I have left to do is to laminate and cut out a bunch of stuff for some learning charts and games. The first day of school will be September 7th. Aubrie is getting excited as she sees me hanging things on the wall and getting ready. I love the three drawer plastic organizer thing I got on sale at Walmart and it's great for putting flashcards and other school supplies in.
As you may have noticed, I had to put everything up off the ground because a certain someone would surely be making life extremely difficult if I didn't. I've learned recently that I not only have one monkey in the house (Kayley) but now I have two. Christian isn't even a year old and Sam found him sitting in the middle of the kitchen table yesterday happily drinking my leftover cup of lemonade. Let's just say that school time will be taking place during Christian's nap times or when Daddy is home to chase him around and pull him off of counters and tables.
I am checking into a home school co-op that meets every week at a local church and I am looking forward to that. Aubrie will also be starting swimming lessons soon (we meant to do that over the summer but it just didn't happen) so needless to say, things will be busy around here for our family!
Happy upcoming fall, y'all!
4 comments:
What curriculum are you using again? I've just started doing some research on the various ones out there.
Definitely keep us posted as you go along this school year, on how things are going and any tips you have! (Because if this is the route we decide to take, I need all the tips I can get!)
Oh my goodness! Now I feel really unprepared. My "school room" (our recently finished room in the basement) is full of piles of shoes and piles of clothes that I have been sorting. Not a thing on the walls, and all the books are piled haphazardly in a cupboard.
Maybe I will cutsy it up before school, or maybe I won't. He will probably just be happy with a new spiderman backpack...
Kristin -- I ordered our curriculum through Abeka (www.abeka.com). I ordered the complete child and parent kits which included all of the recommended kindergarten materials including all the teacher's manuals. It's excellent stuff and I really like it. It came with workbooks, flashcards, charts, learning games, etc. I am also supplementing that with some books from Christian Liberty. I liked their site as well and found that their materials were much less expensive than Abeka's. I'll definitely keep you posted on our progress along the way and if you ever home school, you can learn from my mistakes! ;)
The Three 22nds -- hehe, you crack me up. :) Aubrie would probably be just as happy with a princess backpack just like your son would be with a spiderman one. Decorating and making things all cute was more for my benefit than hers. It made me feel better to get everything ready like that and made me feel less like someone who has no clue what they're doing. :)
Love your school room!
Post a Comment