Sunday, December 7, 2008

In case you're wondering...

We are remodeling right now and the house, at least the main floor, is an absolute disaster. As I sit here and type in the living room, my stove is up against my back. We have gutted our kitchen and dining room and are painting walls and ceilings, tearing out cabinets, tearing down wall paper, and getting everything ready to put down new flooring and new cabinets. I managed to make do for a long time since we moved here in March with disgusting cabinets that hadn't been cleaned in years and were practically ready to cave in and fall down. I had no where to put anything because I was afraid to put my stuff in the gross, not in good shape cabinets and it's going to be heaven to cook my first meal in my brand new kitchen and actually be able to efficiently find what I need and make use of my space.

We also had maroon carpet (what were the former owners thinking??) in our dining room which I had to vacuum like four times a day and I'm SO glad that is gone! An elderly couple lived in this house from the time it was built in 1972 and from what the neighbors tell us, they weren't able to do hardly anything for several years before we moved in. So you can imagine the cleaning and gutting we've had to do. It's exciting to see the changes, though. Sam has framed up a second bedroom in our basement and will also be framing up a large bathroom/laundry room and then a utility room and pantry. When we first moved here, the basement was really creepy. It had dark brown paneling everywhere, strange wallpaper with pictures of fruit on it, a carpeted bar (guess the man was an alcoholic and liked to drink in his basement), and it was dark and dirty. We tore down all the paneling right away and the ugly stuff and cleaned and organized and now we are finally able to start working on the remodeling process.

These have been good projects for Sam to do on his days off when it's cold outside and there's not a whole lot to do. I've been helping as much as I can but that mostly means holding Christian who always wants to be held or listening to a lot of crying when I put him down. And I do put him down as much as I can but hearing the crying is hard after awhile. I am so glad I am not actually moving to another house, although it feels like it at times and that the mess is temporary. I'm also glad that I don't have a fridge to clean out in order to get a rent deposit back. I have to remind myself that we are remodeling and this is supposed to be fun!!!!! :)

I'll post pictures of the finished product when that time comes! I can't wait!!

2 comments:

The Three 22nds said...

Sounds fun! But it will be so nice when it is finished! Everything nice and new, and you will KNOW where every scratch and dent came from, no more asking "what WERE they doing in here anyway?"

LS said...

Good luck on the remodel! I hope it is done soon. I also hope you have a good Christmas. Was it just a year ago that we were all in Bemidji talking about being pregnant with #3?