
I just wanted to let everyone know that something amazing has taken place in our household as of four days ago. Christian has started sleeping at night! Not only that, he has started taking regular naps in his bassinet! This is a HUGE deal to me because up until now, it's been a great struggle. I've been extremely sleep deprived for months. We tried everything and we investigated everything. Other than a few random good nights, he would wake up constantly at night. And he didn't even want to eat - he would just be fussy. It was so hard and it was hard for me to be so tired all the time and not know what was wrong.
We even tried medication for reflux but when there was no improvement, I just stopped giving it to him. I hoped he would outgrow it. I prayed constantly. Every night when I finally got him to sleep and carefully laid him in his bassinet, I prayed that he would stay asleep and be content. I started begging God for at least a four hour stretch. Then, once in awhile that would happen. Then, I would pray for a five hour stretch. That never quite happened.
Sunday night, we got home from an exhausting weekend out of town. I've never been so tired or overwhelmed. I had a major headache after an extra long drive on slippery roads, a mountain of laundry to do, suitcases to unpack, etc., and I just prayed and hoped for the best when I put Christian to bed that night. Well, he shocked the socks off me by sleeping from 10-5:30! This may not seem amazing to some, but after being up every two hours for four months, I was sooooo happy. However, I was determined not to get my hopes up and figured it was just because he was so tired from our weekend away. Except that he slept a long stretch the next night too. And the next night. And he started taking nice, long morning and afternoon naps in his bassinet. (I have tried getting him to nap well on his own since he was born but he would cry and cry when I put him down and I'm not a fan of the cry-it-out method. We held him a lot. Or "spoiled" him as Sam's grandma would say.)
It was like a switch had been flipped and he was a different baby. I am just shaking my head in disbelief! And thanking God for answered prayer!!
I'm also prepared that it could end at any moment. But, I just can't tell you how nice it feels to not be a zombie anymore and to have a happy, content baby that is sleeping. I really thought he would just gradually outgrow the constant waking up and fussing and so it's such a shock to have the change literally happen overnight. The picture is one I snapped of him taking a nap this morning just to prove to myself that yes, he can sleep and take naps like other babies. I'm able to get so much more done during the day because I am not as tired and also because he's napping better. WAHOOOOOOOOO!
4 comments:
I am so happy for you!! SLEEP is WONDERFUL!! Praise God for the change and I pray it stays that way!! --4 months or even 2 months can seem like an eternity when you are hoping for sleep and have been without it for so long!--
Montana Grandma is sure happy!!!!
That is so great! I'm glad you (and him) are finally get some much-needed rest!
It's strange how much a person takes sleep for granted. My kids haven't been feeling very well for the past couple days and they haven't been sleeping well either. So yes, there have been a couple of nights lately that I've had to get up TWICE for a time span of 5-10 MINUTES and I'm exhausted the next morning! (Don't you feel so sorry for me?! :-) )
I know it wasn't so long ago that I was also sleep deprived, but it sure feels like it! I don't know how we function on so little sleep during the newborn stage!
I hope this good trend continues for you.
Yay! Keep it up Christian and be your Mama's first baby to actually start giving her some good sleep early on!
This is so wonderful and I hope it continues. I feel your pain but Justus has started doing better with this too now that he's drinking some formula.
Post a Comment