Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Flowers and Marriage Thoughts



**********************************************************************************

Sam is working night shifts this week so we only saw each other for an hour or two on Valentine's Day. But, on his way home from work in the morning, he stopped to pick up these pretty flowers for me. I was laying in bed and just starting to wake up when I felt a kiss on my forehead and so I opened my eyes and saw a bunch of flowers inches from my face. I smiled, smelled them, and thanked my sweet hubby.

We had given each other cards the night before as he was getting ready to leave for work and I also put some decorated cookies in his lunch cooler that Aubrie and I had made.

So, it wasn't an incredibly exciting day filled with lots of one-one-one time, a fancy dinner out, or anything like that. But, I felt loved and was reminded that although Valentine's Day is a special day where we can do fun things we don't normally do, a marriage is 365 days a year. I want to daily be showing my husband that I love him.

I have felt challenged recently to read 1 Corinthians 13 daily for 30 days. I am focusing on and trying to absorb each and every word or phrase that describes love: patient, kind, does not envy, does not boast, is not proud, not rude, not self seeking, not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs and how it does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth...etc. (There's more, of course, and it's all good stuff!) The first time I started thinking about this challenge, reading those words nearly took my breath away when I realized how guilty I am of not follwing this passage on a regular basis. I want to do better - I really do! And not just with my husband but also with my kids.

So now, as I spend long, mentally and physically exhausting hours with my kids and feel like the walls are closing in on me some days, I mentally go over the "love chapter" in my head and it helps change my heart and behavior. It has kept me from losing my cool a few times and I pray and hope God continues to mold me into a person that is more like Him as I practice love with my husband and kids.

********************************************************************************

3 comments:

Heather said...

You're inspiring! I've been reading 1 Cor 13, too, specifically on a day this week that I had an attitude that needed working on.

You are a wonderful wife and mommy!

The Three 22nds said...

It is hard to balance husband and kids, isn't it? Sometimes I really think that when my husband and I are in an amazing season than I am struggling with the kids. And if things are going well with the kids, my husband is more needy. It is hard to balance everyones needs/wants.

Reading the love chapter daily sounds like a great idea...I may have to work on dwelling on that as I go about my daily tasks...

Heather said...

Lesley, thanks for your comment! I'd love to go out to hot chocoate with you, too--I'm not a coffee drinker either! (Isn't that funny?) Maybe someday we'll live closer together. Who knows where Jacob will get a job once he's done!