Thursday, October 22, 2009

Trials and Trusting

Wow...Where do I even begin. I considered not posting about what's been going on with us because it is all so overwhelming, but since it is the major thing going on in our lives right now and we could use the prayer, I thought I'd put it out there.


We will soon be without a home. It is a very awesome thing that our house is in the process of being sold after being on the market for a mere two weeks. It is a very awesome thing that we will make a good profit in doing so. And it is awesome that God has been answering our prayers to be on our way to being debt free.

But, things are kind of crazy right now.

Let me go back to the beginning. It all started when some friends of ours started talking with us about debt and the burden it can be. For us, it is mainly school loans. Our friends shared with us how God was faithful in providing ways for them to get rid of debt and they had the most amazing and encouraging story. They are living in a home rent/mortgage free in exchange for doing projects around the house for the owner and they do pay utilities. They were supposed to be moving to California the beginning of October and after talking with us, they had a brilliant idea. Maybe we could live in the same house they are in now after they move to California. It seemed crazy at first but we spent a week in prayer about it and felt God leading us in the direction of selling our home. The plan was to pay off as much debt as we could with the sale of our house and then move into that house and continue to pay down debt and also start saving.

Everything was going so well. Our house sold quickly. But, then we sort of hit a wall. Our friends are still living in the house we had hoped to move into and don't know if or when they'll be going to California. They are currently trying to sell a home of their own and have already had a few buyers fall through. So, until they resolve that, they cannot go anywhere. And until that happens, we have no where to go as well because they are still living in the house we had hoped to move into.

Our next step was to scramble and try to buy a place of our own. We looked and looked and found several places we loved. We started the process of getting approved at the bank. It wasn't the scenario we had hoped for because the idea was really to live in the rent/mortgage free home but that wasn't really working out and we were feeling kind of desperate. I guess that should have been a warning sign to us right there. Don't ever buy a home when you're feeling desperate. But, we wanted a place to live so bad and didn't know what else to do.

Things just kept going wrong, though as we were told we'd have to put 10% down on the house (we were expecting 5%) and the interest rate they quoted us was not a good one. There are all sorts of new restrictions out there and we just started to feel uneasy about buying. We could probably have made it all work but felt we would be stretching ourselves too thin. So after some more prayer and talking with some wise friends, we decided to totally hold off on buying.

We felt instant relief and peace. We couldn't believe that we had almost made the foolish decision of buying a house when God had led us this far in seeking to get rid of debt. (I'm not saying having a mortgage is wrong. We fully plan to buy a home again down the road. It was our goal, however to be closer to being debt free before we do that so we are not burdened with other payments) We have faith that He will still come through for us. It felt like a huge test. It was like God was saying, Are you still going to trust me? Are you going to be patient and have faith that I will provide a place for you to live, even if there is some uncomfortable waiting?

It felt so good to make that decision. At the same time, my question back to God has been,

But, where are we going to live, God?

That is a answer we still don't have. The whole thing with the rent free home is still a possibility. We just don't know when.

Our wonderful pastor and wife have graciously offered to let us stay with them until we get this all figured out. I am so thankful to them for their offer and it is good to know we at least will have a roof over our heads. But, I can't even begin to tell you how stressful this all is because even if we move in with them, we still have no idea when that house will open up for us.

As I spend the next few weeks packing, I will have no idea what to pack and what to save because I don't know how long we will be waiting for a home. This is tough! We will have to put everything we own into storage except the stuff we will need for who knows for how long.

I've always been the kind of person that doesn't like transition so this is especially hard. I keep picturing Christmas time and wondering where we will be living by then. And we will be a family of five moving into a home with another family of five (plus a high school boy they have taken in) and that has all of its own unique set of challenges.

And yet, my faith has not wavered and I know God is going to come through for us. He can do amazing things, after all. He sold our house and step by step, we are getting rid of payments and could be in really good shape down the road, especially after living in that home for a couple of years. It is a very nice home, too. It is in a good part of town and has a deck out front with a beautiful view of the lake. I can picture us being there and calling it home for awhile. But, for now, we wait. And pray.

We are praying for our friends that are still living there and that God will resolve their situation soon so that maybe we can move right in after we close on our house. That would be awesome. But even if that doesn't happen, and we end up living in some less than comfortable sitautions for awhile, I have to continue to trust that God knows what He's doing.

I am praying that God will continue to lead us along the path He has chosen for us and that we will be hearing His voice and will be obedient.

Please pray for us and pray that God will provide a house for us at the right time and for patience for us in the meantime. Thanks.

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

5 comments:

LS said...

This is a nearly-identical situation to ours. I know the weight and the strain, but also know how God was "so there" when I needed Him most in our trial. I know how awful it is to pack and wonder where to put it all and what to do about holidays and what can we still use. I must say, it sure is wonderful of your pastor's family to make such an offer, but how difficult as well to live with another family.

I'm so proud of you for pursuing freedom from debt, and I pray that God would bless that and provide exactly what you need in the nick of time. Maybe His plan is for you to live with another family for awhile, but He knows what you need, and knows your need to have privacy and space to homeschool, and to give the other family rest and privacy too.

Could you guys find a cheap rental for a couple of years and still get out of debt? Is that a possibility or not? Is the mortgage free home a done deal if your friends move? If so, I can see why you would wait to get that home. It's crazy how you have good friends moving away too at the same time as all of this upheaval. So similar to our situation!

We'll talk on Tuesday night! I'll expect a call around 8 my time, unless you want to try for 7:30 if it's a better time for you.

Heather said...

Wow, Lesley, what a challenge! I pray God will honor your desire to be debt-free and will provide something wonderful to help you on the way to becoming that!

Anything I can do from over here?

Lesley said...

Thanks, Lindsey -- I think around 8your time your will be perfect if that works for you!

And Heather, you are so sweet -- thank you for your offer of help! I can't think of a single thing you can do other than to keep us in prayer which is actually a huge and very much appreciated thing! So, thank you! :) I am trusting that God will provide (although I often have to remind myself of that throughout each day as I start to worry) and appreciate friends like you thinking of us!

Lesley said...

Wow, just saw the typos and I am blaming it on my computer because it wouldn't let me type what I wanted and then when I typed it again, it showed up twice. Ooops!

S. and Company said...

Hi Lesley,
I found your post a few days late, but I wanted to say that I'm praying for you too.
I wish I had the perfect words to bring peace to you... it is definitely a very hard spot to be in. I pray that the Lord will draw the 5 of you near to him during this time, that you will be comforted and strengthened by his promises, and that he will pour out provision for you that will be perfect for your family.

This morning I was encouraged by a verse Kelly sent me and I thought about it right away when I went to write a comment here.
God's Word is so much better than anything I could say anyway. ;o)

"Do not be anxious about anything but by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God- And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:6,7

My heart goes out to you as you wade through this time of uncertainty... and still, I look forward to what God will do because I know he has good plans for you.
You will continue to be in my prayers.
love to you,
Natalie