Thursday, September 10, 2009

What we've been up to

Gotta watch this one





This is how I found Christian when I walked out of the room for only a moment. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that he is walking and now I have to deal with him climbing too!

I haven't blogged in a few days because life has just been busy around here. Aubrie started kindergarten at home on Monday and so far it's going so good! Of course we're only four days into it and I'm sure we'll have our ups and downs along the way, but I am just really happy with how it's going so far. We spend on average about an hour and forty minutes a day doing school and Aubrie is picking things up quickly.

Our school schedule consists of the following:

Monday - Friday: Reading (phonics), Writing, Math, and Bible

Tuesdays and Thursdays: Science

Wednesdays: History/Geography

Fridays: Art

So far, Aubrie's favorite subject is probably Art but she is also doing really well in reading. (I know I said that Art is on Fridays but I've been having her paint a picture about each day of the Creation story after we're done with everything else and it's what she looks forward to throughout all the other lessons) I'm learning as I go and learning how to adapt and modify things as needed. Since she had pre-school and lots of informal pre-K stuff at home, I'm finding that the math especially is way too easy for her. The curriculum still has her counting to 10 and although I followed it very closely because I thought it would be good review for her, I decided that tomorrow I will move into stuff that is more challenging for her. With a little help, she can count to 100 and so I think we'll just move beyond the counting to 10 stuff. :) Maybe that is bad to skip a few lessons but it is just really getting repetitive for her.

I'm finding that our school time together is a special time for the two of us and even though she can exasperate me at times and complain when I make her write letters over and over, I am also finding it so rewarding to see her learn. Today she read the word, "hug" and after she did that, she jumped out of her seat and ran around the table to give me a big hug and said, "hug! I'm going to give you a hug because you're doing such a good job teaching me, Mommy!"

Now that's enough to melt a mom's heart. I hope she can still say that down the road but I am going to do my very best at this, that's for sure!

We've been doing more work on our house lately, I've still been running my 3 miles several times a week, and soon Aubrie will also start swimming lessons.

Kayley is keeping me as busy as ever and last night, Sam saved my sanity by installing a lock on the girls' closet. I put both of their dressers inside the closet too and now she has no access to her clothes anymore. This is because she was dragging out numerous outfits all day long and I was ready to tear my hair out with all the laundry and picking up I had to do. I hope this phase ends soon because she sure likes to try on clothes!

So, that's the latest with our family. What's new with you?

4 comments:

LS said...

Love the hug comment!

Do you have a cell phone? Want to chat on Wednesday night? Let me know. If not we can chat on Wednesday two weeks from this Wednesday. If you don't have a cell we can take turns calling on phone cards. How about we start with a one hour call once a month since we're both busy moms?

The Three 22nds said...

Locking the closet door is a great idea...my boys (especially Roman) go through multiple outfits a day and I am tired of picking them up, making him pick them up and doing laundry... the way my kids room is set up though, I can't lock anything...unless I get real inventive.

Sounds like school is going well! I gotta post about our kindergarten at some point, but have not had time to post at all lately!

S. and Company said...

Hi Lesley!
I enjoyed getting caught up on what you're family has been doing!
I've been feeling the pressure by lots of moms in the area to put Seth into public school, so it was encouraging to hear about how you guys are happy with home schooling so far. :o) I'm looking forward to hearing more as time goes on!
I sympathize with the dresser issue too! Although it's not as pleasing to the eye, we moved Seth's dresser into the hallway when he was two so he wouldn't be constantly taking clothes out when he was in his room at night by himself!
Thanks for the fun update!

LS said...

Your little guy is so darling. I bet he and Justus would be the BESTEST of friends if they hung out! Justus climbs and gets into everything too! He especially likes trying to jump on the fourwheeler when the older kids have it out. It's like he's just dying to drive it but his legs are so short they'll have to grow a foot before he can! We're going to vacation for a week at Temperance River with Joel and Kathy next late-July so I hope you see us a bunch!