This is how she sat for much of the morning. Poor Kayley :(Things have been kind of rough around here lately. While our family managed to stay quite healthy through all of fall and most of winter, we finally got slammed this past week. It started with Kayley getting a cough and fever six days ago. Then, Aubrie started to cough. Then Christian. Then everyone started getting really cranky and coming down with fevers. I've been hanging on the edge of something for several days now and fighting it like mad with Vitamin C. At the moment, I have a head cold and a bit of a sore throat and sinus headache. Sam is still healthy, thank goodness.
But, back to the kids. I took them all to the doctor on Tuesday. The girls looked okay but still had fevers and I was told it looked like a nasty virus. Christian had an ear infection, though and so we started treating that.
But then yesterday morning, Kayley did not get out of bed. By 10:00 a.m., she was still laying there and not moving a whole lot. I helped her out of bed and she was shaky and breathing kind of rapidly. And she was burning up. I took her temp. which was over 103. I was really frustrated at this point because she had been sick and had a fever for four days and she was supposed to be getting better not worse! I called the doctor and we got an appointment with her pediatrician for 1:30. She was acting so sick, it was scaring me. I put her in a lukewarm bath and instead of playing with her toys as usual, she just sat and stared at the water and whimpered now and then. And she wouldn't drink anything, no matter how hard I tried to get her to. (Yes, I've tried popsicles, ice cream, and anything else she normally loves but she just stared at it)
By the time we got to her appointment, she was still pretty lethargic and stayed on my lap the whole time. The doctor was great about checking her out and confirmed that it was the right thing to bring her back. In a days time, both of her ears had gotten infected and she might have gotten the flu on top of it. But, the main concern was her not drinking. The doctor tried getting some pedialyte into her but to no avail. Kayley is smart and stubborn and you can get liquid into her mouth, but you can't make her swallow it. I think her throat was really hurting and she just didn't like how much it hurt to swallow.
So, the doctor thought it would be best to head over to the hospital and get her admitted and get some fluids into her with an IV. I really did not want to do this because the doctor said herself it would be very painful and probably difficult to get the IV started. But, it was necessary. She was dangerously dehydrated and so sick. So I scooped her up and we took the skywalk from the clinic to the hospital and went up to pediatrics on the 4th floor.
The nurses were so kind and sweet to Kayley and fussed all over her. I put little hospital jammies on her and got her tucked into bed and made some phone calls to let Sam and others know what was going on. I really dreaded the IV getting started for Kayley's sake and prayed SO hard that they would get it in right away.
Sam showed up just a few minutes before they started the IV and brought Christian to me so I could nurse him. And thankfully, Sam went with Kayley to be with her through the process while I fed Christian. I just knew I would have been WAY too emotional had I been in the room. I hate seeing my babies hurt.
After feeding Christian, I picked him up and paced the halls for awhile while I waited for Kayley to be brought back. I thought it was taking an awfully long time and was so sad thinking that they were probably poking her over and over. At one point, I heard her crying from down the hall and it just killed me. Finally, they came out of the room and Sam brought a very sad, sweaty little girl back to me. I guess it took three tries to get the IV in. Poor little girl!!
We got Kayley settled back into her bed and I took off for the cafeteria to grab something to eat since I hadn't eaten since breakfast and it was going on 6:00 p.m. (Sam's mom was at our house watching Aubrie during this time) I tried to fill up Christian as much as possible and then told Sam that he could bring him back home since he was getting really cranky and I'm sure he didn't feel very good either with his ears hurting and still having a low grade fever.
So I hung out with Kayley while she got fluids and anti-biotics in her IV. She was so sweet and sad, it was pitiful. I kept telling her she was doing a good job and being such a good girl and she would say in this soft little voice, "Okay, Mom." Eventually she fell asleep. Finally, around 8 p.m., she was done getting fluids. It was a toss up between keeping her overnight and me bringing her home because after two bags of fluids, she had barely gone potty. And then diarrhea had started. Uggg!! I did not want to bring her home and go through the same thing all over again the next day if she refused to drink. But after all those fluids, the doctor said she was well hydrated and would probably feel better in the morning and then hopefully start drinking. So we got her IV out and headed home. She went right to bed and fell asleep.
I was sooooo exhausted last night. Christian had kept me up most of the night before because of being sick. I wasn't feeling so good myself. And I just felt like I was at a breaking point with all the stress and demands put on me. It's so hard being a mom sometimes. You have to keep taking care of everyone else no matter how you're feeling, how much sleep you've gotten, or if you're sick yourself or not. I prayed that I would get some sleep last night and I'm happy to say that I did. Christian only woke up to eat once around 4 a.m. and then went back to bed until 8.
So we're making it through the day here. I've gotten Kayley to drink one and a half sippy cups which is a major breakthrough and she even ate some lunch after not eating anything for over two days. Plus, her fever was gone this morning. Praise God for that!
I'm praying that my baby boy and little girl will start feeling better soon. I'm praying that Kayley will continue to drink and stay hydrated. I'm also praying that I will get over whatever I have and that Sam will remain healthy. Aubrie is doing pretty good. She doesn't have a fever and has just a minor cough. So hopefully we're all on the road to recovery here after some very rough days!
But, back to the kids. I took them all to the doctor on Tuesday. The girls looked okay but still had fevers and I was told it looked like a nasty virus. Christian had an ear infection, though and so we started treating that.
But then yesterday morning, Kayley did not get out of bed. By 10:00 a.m., she was still laying there and not moving a whole lot. I helped her out of bed and she was shaky and breathing kind of rapidly. And she was burning up. I took her temp. which was over 103. I was really frustrated at this point because she had been sick and had a fever for four days and she was supposed to be getting better not worse! I called the doctor and we got an appointment with her pediatrician for 1:30. She was acting so sick, it was scaring me. I put her in a lukewarm bath and instead of playing with her toys as usual, she just sat and stared at the water and whimpered now and then. And she wouldn't drink anything, no matter how hard I tried to get her to. (Yes, I've tried popsicles, ice cream, and anything else she normally loves but she just stared at it)
By the time we got to her appointment, she was still pretty lethargic and stayed on my lap the whole time. The doctor was great about checking her out and confirmed that it was the right thing to bring her back. In a days time, both of her ears had gotten infected and she might have gotten the flu on top of it. But, the main concern was her not drinking. The doctor tried getting some pedialyte into her but to no avail. Kayley is smart and stubborn and you can get liquid into her mouth, but you can't make her swallow it. I think her throat was really hurting and she just didn't like how much it hurt to swallow.
So, the doctor thought it would be best to head over to the hospital and get her admitted and get some fluids into her with an IV. I really did not want to do this because the doctor said herself it would be very painful and probably difficult to get the IV started. But, it was necessary. She was dangerously dehydrated and so sick. So I scooped her up and we took the skywalk from the clinic to the hospital and went up to pediatrics on the 4th floor.
The nurses were so kind and sweet to Kayley and fussed all over her. I put little hospital jammies on her and got her tucked into bed and made some phone calls to let Sam and others know what was going on. I really dreaded the IV getting started for Kayley's sake and prayed SO hard that they would get it in right away.
Sam showed up just a few minutes before they started the IV and brought Christian to me so I could nurse him. And thankfully, Sam went with Kayley to be with her through the process while I fed Christian. I just knew I would have been WAY too emotional had I been in the room. I hate seeing my babies hurt.
After feeding Christian, I picked him up and paced the halls for awhile while I waited for Kayley to be brought back. I thought it was taking an awfully long time and was so sad thinking that they were probably poking her over and over. At one point, I heard her crying from down the hall and it just killed me. Finally, they came out of the room and Sam brought a very sad, sweaty little girl back to me. I guess it took three tries to get the IV in. Poor little girl!!
We got Kayley settled back into her bed and I took off for the cafeteria to grab something to eat since I hadn't eaten since breakfast and it was going on 6:00 p.m. (Sam's mom was at our house watching Aubrie during this time) I tried to fill up Christian as much as possible and then told Sam that he could bring him back home since he was getting really cranky and I'm sure he didn't feel very good either with his ears hurting and still having a low grade fever.
So I hung out with Kayley while she got fluids and anti-biotics in her IV. She was so sweet and sad, it was pitiful. I kept telling her she was doing a good job and being such a good girl and she would say in this soft little voice, "Okay, Mom." Eventually she fell asleep. Finally, around 8 p.m., she was done getting fluids. It was a toss up between keeping her overnight and me bringing her home because after two bags of fluids, she had barely gone potty. And then diarrhea had started. Uggg!! I did not want to bring her home and go through the same thing all over again the next day if she refused to drink. But after all those fluids, the doctor said she was well hydrated and would probably feel better in the morning and then hopefully start drinking. So we got her IV out and headed home. She went right to bed and fell asleep.
I was sooooo exhausted last night. Christian had kept me up most of the night before because of being sick. I wasn't feeling so good myself. And I just felt like I was at a breaking point with all the stress and demands put on me. It's so hard being a mom sometimes. You have to keep taking care of everyone else no matter how you're feeling, how much sleep you've gotten, or if you're sick yourself or not. I prayed that I would get some sleep last night and I'm happy to say that I did. Christian only woke up to eat once around 4 a.m. and then went back to bed until 8.
So we're making it through the day here. I've gotten Kayley to drink one and a half sippy cups which is a major breakthrough and she even ate some lunch after not eating anything for over two days. Plus, her fever was gone this morning. Praise God for that!
I'm praying that my baby boy and little girl will start feeling better soon. I'm praying that Kayley will continue to drink and stay hydrated. I'm also praying that I will get over whatever I have and that Sam will remain healthy. Aubrie is doing pretty good. She doesn't have a fever and has just a minor cough. So hopefully we're all on the road to recovery here after some very rough days!

5 comments:
Scary stuff! I am glad everyone seems to be on the mend!
Oh my goodness, what a stressful day for you!
My friend Lyndi's husband has had a really bad sore throat, fever, and many of the symptoms you described - and it turns out he has some kind of influenza. He said he would rather be throwing up for 12 hours than have what he has because he has been so miserable!
I wonder if it's the same strain that Kayley had/has??
Hopefully your kids are on the mend and that you and Sam don't get it! Hang in there.
So sad! That picture of her just breaks my heart! I would be bawling if I had to go through that with my two year old!
I'm so sorry you've had such a rough time of it recently. Being a mom is SO SO SO SO SO SO hard sometimes! I hope you can get the rest you need and that everyone gets better. Josiah had this horrible cold and he's now on the mend. It was worse than him breaking his wrist, as far as his complaining and misery went!
Oh Lesley, we will be praying for you all. May our dear Lord Jesus continue to be with you all through this difficult time.
There is so much icky stuff going around. I have seen so many diagnosed cases of influenza in Bemidji in the past could of weeks it is spreading like wild fire! I will keep you in my prayers as well. We had a few week stretch of sickness at our house. Praising God it was fairly minor stuff, but still very draining on parents! Especially when we aren't feeling up to par ourselves. Hang in there. It will get better! Yea for Christian sleeping! Praises you are on the mend.
Post a Comment