The other day, we were expecting someone to stop by our house and Aubrie was asking about him. I said his name was John. And Aubrie immediately asked, "the baptist?"
Choking on tears of laughter, I said, "no, not John the baptist. Another man named John."
Then this morning, I was explaining to Aubrie why I was so tired and that Christian hadn't slept as long as I had wanted him to. Aubrie said, "Well, you should pray every night that he sleeps long."
"I DO pray every night that he'll sleep a long time!" I replied.
"You mean Christian didn't listen to God?"
"Ummm, well...."
How do you answer a question like that?
Anyway, Aubrie says some of the funniest things. I really need to write more of them down because I forget them too quickly otherwise. What amazes me though about Aubrie is that she's barely five and she already understands so much. There is a spiritual depth and love for God in her that I didn't think was possible before I had children. And I'm sure all children are this way. There is so much potential in kids when we "train them up in the Lord."
Teaching kids the Word of God is especially important, I think and it's something we've been working on lately. Sam has been reading Psalm 91 every night with Aubrie and now she has almost the entire thing memorized, word for word. Even Kayley can say parts of it since she's heard her sister say it so many times. It's a great passage for teaching our kids about God's protection and sovereignty, especially in uncertain times. It's so fun to hear Aubrie speak God's word from memory and I pray that the words take root in her heart and that she will be equipped for the daily "battles" that come her way as she grows up.
What a huge and awesome responsibility we have as parents!
3 comments:
This is an awesome post, Lesley. Cheers for you and Sam for reading Psalm 91 to Aubrie every night! I would love to hear more of what she says about Jesus. It's priceless to see a young child's heart for God, isn't it?
Thanks for this post. It not only gave me a good chuckle ("John the Baptist" he he, so cute!) but it was encouraging to me too. I've been wanting to decide on a passage to read every night together but I wasn't sure which one I should do. This one sounds like what I was looking for - thanks!
It is so precious to hear about your girls growing in the Lord. I pray that the same will continue with Christian and Seth and Haddie as well. (Sometimes when I question my decision to homeschool I think about how much I love seeing Seth and Haddie learn about Jesus. Not that I couldn't be teaching them about the Lord after school, but I don't want to give up 7-8 hours a day to be with them, and all those opportunities to talk about Jesus throughout the day! :o)
Praise God Lesley, this is great!
It is so wonderful that you are teaching them to memorize God's Word! How exciting!
Aubrie's words are so sweet and reflect what she is being taught. :)
Post a Comment