Thursday, March 11, 2010

Heading West

In less than two days, Aubrie and I will hop on a plane and fly out to Oregon to visit my Grandma. We are both so excited! Sam will be home with Kayley and Christian (bless his heart) and Aubrie and I will be gone for five days.

I am so thankful to be making this trip. I haven't seen my Grandma since Aubrie was a baby and it's been nagging at me for quite awhile now that I needed to get out and see her. It was too expensive to fly the whole family out, so I thought taking our oldest would be the perfect idea. She will be much easier to handle than the other two kids would be and will also be old enough to really enjoy the trip and have lots of memories from it.

In kindergarten, I've been teaching her about time and how to understand a calendar, and it's been a perfect time to do that as she has learned to count down the days until we leave.

We will be getting home the day before her sixth birthday and Sam will immediately start four night shifts, and so the celebration will actually take place on the 21st. We reserved a room at a hotel/waterpark in town and Aubrie has invited one friend to join us for the night. It should be a lot of fun! We got a room with bunkbeds and I'm sure the girls, Kayley included, will have a blast together.

Sam especially loves this particular waterpark because it has a super fast waterslide and a fun lazy river to float around on. We were there once before and I decided to try out the waterslide. Whoa. I didn't realize that I would be sliding all the way down in total darkness at a frightening speed. I'm not so sure I'll try that again. Or maybe I will...

So, I'm caught up on laundry and just have to get our packing done and buy a few things for our backpacks and we'll be set to go! See you when we get back!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh, hope you're having a wonderful time!

I'm excited for you that you'll be in a 5K in April! It really is a lot of fun. I felt bad at first when I came in so far behind many others, but now I feel good that I did better than I ever had before. That's what it's all about, anyway.

Have a great time, both in the race and visiting family, too! :)