Before reading this: This is about pro-life work and God's amazing sovereignty and grace. I welcome comments and dialogue but if you are just going to be negative under the name "anonymous" please refrain from looking at this blog. Thanks
To my friends and supporters: Praise God for a miracle that happened last week during our sidewalk counseling! Sometimes it can be very discouraging when you don't see actual "results" when you are fighting for the innocent every week but one day it hit me that our idea of results aren't really important at all. Who cares about the numbers -- of course we want to see more and more babies spared, but I feel like as long as I am obedient and am there, God will take care of the "results." There is so much that happens that we don't see anyway!
What happened is that two babies were spared, each in separate incidents. The first happened during a car accident that took place right outside the parking ramp where I was standing with a few other counselors. We heard a "bam!" and then turned to see two cars collide. Sarah, a lady I counsel with went over to see if she could help and found out that one of the young couples involved in the accident were in fact on their way in for an abortion. Nobody was hurt and it was a fairly minor accident which was good. Sarah tried to talk to them and they did take the literature she offered them which tells them the resources that are there for them and shows pictures of babies and how we can help.
We continued to watch everything unfold as the police came to file a report and sort everything out and we continued to pray for the couple and that this would be God's way of intervening and keeping them from going in. Soon, we saw their car get towed away and once more Sarah tried to talk with them but the girl, who was crying by this point, said she didn't want to talk. To our amazement, however, they did not come our way to the clinic but went the opposite way and left! They did not keep their appointment. We rejoiced.
An update: We found out later that this couple was a yonger cousin of a friend of Sarah's and that the car they were driving to the abortion was not insured and that is why their car was towed away and it was impounded. So, they had to use the money that they would have used for an abortion to get their car back instead. How awesome is that! I guess the girl did try to go back the following week but she is now close to 16 weeks and they won't do abortions in this city that late. At this point, if she still wants an abortion, she would have to go to the twin cities and apparently they don't have the money. We are praying they don't ever have the money but most importantly that their hearts are changed! The baby has been spared for now and we are thankful!
PART 2
Not too long after all this happened, a girl was parking her car near the clinic and starting to walk toward the entrance. My good friend and fellow counselor, Jenny and her brother-in-law started walking toward the girl. I hung back to let them talk and prayed. To my surprise, the girl did not walk away from Jenny but talked to her. I couldn't hear what was said since they were across the street from me, but Jenny was motioning with her hands and talking a lot. And then, to our shock, they all walked away towards Jenny's car and left!
I had a feeling I knew where they were going because Jenny had always told me she would just love to have the chance to take one of the girls to Perkins and talk with her. But at that moment, we all had to wait to find out what happened and why on earth this girl was willing to walk away with a stranger.
Jenny called me later that afternoon to tell me she had, in fact taken the girl to Perkins to talk. Apparently she has some pregnancy related health problems and was told by someone that she has a 20% chance of dying if continuing the pregnancy. I find that very hard to believe and I don't know who told her that because her condition involves high blood pressure and I know many moms who had that during pregancy and were able to have it controlled enough to deliver healthy babies.
But anyway, Jenny talked to her for a long time and told her about the amazing gift of life and also about a miscarriage she had suffered not too long ago and how that has changed her life. The girl was very open to everything and in the end, she said she could not believe what she had been about to do! She changed her mind and said she was keeping the baby! She already has an 11 month old boy who she loves dearly and I'm praying that little boy will be a reminder of the love she can show her new baby by giving him/her life.
We were so grateful that at least two babies that were scheduled to die that day did not and ask for continued prayer for the moms and boyfriends/dads and that they will be convicted with TRUTH and have overwhelming love for their unborn babies and choose LIFE.
Sorry this is long but I wanted to get the whole story out. Also, I was referred to a great pro-life website today that everyone should check out: www.abort73.com
Sometimes it bothers me that so many people, including Christians, are so indifferent about this topic. We need to care! We need to be informed and we need to take our walk with God seriously and not live in ignorance. The topic of abortion is not best left in politics. This is life! This is reality. It happens every day in our country and our cities and what do you think God would have us do? We don't have the excuse of not knowing. We do know, although it is good to be more informed. Please read Proverbs 24:11-12. This is not something that should be left to the "crazy activists." If people you knew were being carried off to be murdered, would you not be active in helping them?
Life begins at conception. All the chromosomes and DNA are there when life begins. Unborn babies are people! They do matter. The heartbeat begins beating by about 6 or 7 weeks. The only thing that the baby needs to do is grow and develop but that doesn't prevent it from being a person.
I know some people don't know how they can help but for me, it always comes back to prayer being something everyone can do. And there are many life care centers and pro life groups out there hurting for volunteers -- birth right and many others.
Prayer alone is the most powerful weapon we have and is used very effectively. The days that more people are praying are the days when I feel God's presence in a huge way down on the streets. God makes things happen - we are simply obedient. I am only one person and am incredibly inadquate but God is so much bigger and as long as we are here, I think we need to fight for the innocent. We may be the only one fighting for them. No baby is truly "unwanted." Thanks for listening.
3 comments:
Praise the Lord! Thanks for sharing this story. I am rejoicing with you!
We're so thankful for your presence there on the front lines! Love Mom and Dad
Praise God! I loved reading about the way God got results with these 2 babies and how He was working through you all and through a car accident! I heartily agree with all that you said and am so glad you are burdened to be a prayer presence/counselor in this important ministry!
Post a Comment