I started running regularly last summer. I've run on and off over the years but never on a regular basis. In third grade, I ran my first timed mile and my time was 7:34. Where did I get the energy? I continued to run 7-8 minute miles for years but then once I stopped having to run for gym class, I just stopped running altogether.
So, when I started up again last summer after a very long break, I couldn't even do a quarter of a mile without having to stop and walk.
I kept plugging away all summer long until I could run the three mile trail near our house without stopping to walk. And then when winter came, I continued to run at the YMCA on the treadmill.
And then came the 5K race. I was so nervous in the days leading up to the race. But, I knew I could do it because I had done plenty of three mile runs up to that point. So, my goal was just to complete the race! Just finish it. And then I could be happy with myself and my progress.
So, for the girl who couldn't run a quarter of a mile last summer and who yesterday did her first 5K race, here are my stats:
My official 5K time: 31:06
The official listed "average time" of all the runners: 31:08 (yay, I was 2 seconds faster!)
Total number of women running the race: 760. I was #331 out of those 760 women.
There were 258 female 29 year olds who ran the race. I was #142 out of those 258 women.
Total number of finishers: 1,251
My overall place out of those 1,251 people: 686
My pace for the race: 10:01 (per mile)
So, there you have it! Although I would have liked a faster time, I am just happy with how far I've come and I look forward to trying it again sometime! It was sort of thrilling to be pushing my way as close to the front as I could get and be passing people throughout the race. There were plenty of people ahead of me but plenty behind me too.
Someone told me that races can be addicting. I'm starting to think they may be right. I'm already imagining my next one. :)
2 comments:
nice job! I bet that feels good and you had a good time too, just look at all those people you beat!
Hey Lesely!
I just gave you a blog award, check it out on my blog
http://theadventuresofmytwopeanuts.blogspot.com
I love your posts lady, I so hope we can visit you guys soon in Duluth!
Post a Comment